Following on from the 2 previous blog entries then.
Part 1 - I mentioned the proposition from a video that the human design Generator is here to 'build' their lives.
Part 2 - Through the medium of actors, I discussed the Projector, and how this differs from the Generators type.
For this part. I want to extend out that same argument, and focus on Manifestors, of which there are few.
Actor Manifestors:
- Anna Torv - Olivia Dunham - Fringe.
- John C McGinley - Dr Cox - Scrubs.
- Simon Baker - Patrick Jane - The Mentalist
- Jennifer Lawrence - A range of movies including The Hunger Games.
- Jennifer Aniston - F.R.I.E.N.D.S and a few movies. I have not seen a lot of this woman.
- Johnny Depp - Captain Jack Sparrow - Pirates of the Caribbean.
- Chad Boswick - known from the Black Panther movies.
- Jodie Comer in Killing Eve.
Here is the Black Panther Trailer for reference:
https://youtu.be/xjDjIWPwcPU?si=r3wLu18ahmo03g33
And that's it. I was not kidding when I said they are thin on the ground. Not one of the charts I have done for Stargate, Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Angel, Star Trek DS9 or Voyager. I have typically done all of the actors in the past. More recently only a few.
It is not known the reason obviously that Manifestors are kept out of these things. But firstly, what can we learn from these characters in general. What can we correlate here?
The first thing that sticks out to me is that each of these characters is specifically skilled. They are effectively 'set apart' from everyone else due to that skill. Anna Torv's character has special abilities and a photographic memory. Dr Cox is an extremely good medical practitioner that the other characters look up to. Simon Baker in the Mentalist shows a very eccentric and genius detective that solves crimes incredibly quickly. Even Captain Jack Sparrow is interesting because he is so good at escaping.
I think this might be why the Manifestors are kept out of shows like 'Star Trek Voyager'. Voyager, in somewhat of a liberal fashion actually. (Although politics is missing from the show!) Has this idea that the competence of the characters does not effect the characters personality. In this way they all have the "respect" of being super competent. But they do not display these characteristics. Harry Kim is meant to be a genius but he is aggressively average. Tom Paris is meant to be a passionate, genius, rogue and he does not display a great deal of fire.
Captain Janeway is a little convincing. But what it takes to be a real genius in a real meritocracy is... disagreeableness. This is because if you follow the data and get to decent points. Learn things. The way you know you have hit something that is important and real is if you tell it to someone "normal" and they say... "I don't agree with that because it doesn't feel right".
The Dr Cox character is the best at what he does partly because he is so disagreeable. While J.D has a social life. He has priorities outside work. Dr Cox does not.
Patrick Janes character is positively rude and acerbic to most people. He is kind of refined and polite. But then if he needs to catch people will just run roughshod over people for strategic reasons. Including being extremely insulting. He goes to sleep on shift and does what he likes. Since he gets results, people have to put up with it.
These features are simply not good for a Star Trek show. Firstly, someone bringing in the concept of effectiveness and competence. Is not useful when most of the characters have a claim to status which is them speaking about 'warp plasma manifolds' and such things. Gobbledegook to us then. But they have to sell it.
Another element I think is interesting is that each of these characters has an extremely, visceral violent aspect to their story. We saw the Chad Boseman character in that trailer. But Patrick Jane introduces us to Red John. Dr Cox introduces us to dark themes including the many patients dying from organ transplant and the guilt that followed, his character is noticeably darker than almost everyone else on that show, we do not see one other character resentfully drinking whiskey. Fringe is about a secretive group setting off chemical weapons to kill people horribly. The Hunger Games also has this kind of nastiness to it.
This is something I don't see in the Projectors so much. Kevin Sorbo's Hercules was only ever facing humorous opponents. Aside from perhaps Teal'c, not one of the Projectors was facing this kind of visceral nastiness as an opponent. It makes me think that part of the Manifestors energy is a kind of "fighter" energy. I suppose if anger is your not- self theme. Then that would be likely! This is a noticeable difference to the Projector heroes journey of a sorts. Not one of these Manifestor characters has to fight for dignity. To articulate some sort of feeling that is important. They are struggling against an external foe.
Pulling this together then, what I think Manifestors might be, is "knowledge workers". Patrick Jane has a huge set of knowledge about how people operate. Dr Cox has an expertise. it might not be so obvious with other characters as in other characters have status that is not so earned (Black Panther and Olivia Dunham). But I think in energy terms. The Manifestor is focused on information. Which is why they are not so focused on people.
Just one more thing then is how does the Manifestor focus on career and relationship? Since these are directly building things. We can go to real world people for this and I don't see a huge difference between this and the Generator way of interacting. Barbara O'Neill has four kids. Jordan Peterson has a family and thriving career.
Come to think of it. I do not see a huge difference in Projectors either. Gad Saad. Hillary Crowder. Katie Hopkins. Nigel Farage. Rene Girard.
So it is a theory. The Human Design is largely subjective I think. A lot of what is experienced is not easily proven. It could be that Generators experience going for real world goals. Projectors have heroes journeys where they seek validation. And Manifestors are knowledge workers that have to apply that knowledge to the real messy world. That these are different energy pathways.
Or it could be that there is no difference. That each type can be described as building it's life in the same way.
No comments:
Post a Comment