Wednesday 9 August 2017

Disconnecting from big G.

Well, I have a lot to say.

But unfortunately not here, Google's persecuting of non liberal voices is too much for me. (I will sort out another blog and post that later today.)

I was just thinking about the difficulty of changing services to non google ones...

Firstly, I was looking at other blogs. Some of them have that annoying squared format which I do not really want, I like this format. Wordpress has some good things plus activism on net neutrality. But Wordpress's free blogging service has adverts... Will these be pop ups? Clearly that is a deal breaker. Hopefully the adverts will be fairly out of the way.

Secondly, email: Gmail has this wonderful service in that it separates social, promotions and your main inbox so you can ignore the other two. Gmail is also almost every sign in I have and is on my phone as well. It is unlikely I will completely disconnect from Gmail, it is more likely I will only use it scarcely and will have another email account if I can find a good one.

The other thing is search engines. Previously I used duck duck go and could not find news on a recent child trafficking set of arrests on it, I had to go to Google for that. Again, is the service that opposes Google any good?

Practically any of these services I might have to go back to Google for!

... and finally browser. My new computer did not come with Chrome and I have been happily not using it although Chrome is admittedly better on a lot of things.

So that's that. I have more to say, quite a bit more, but not on Google.

I'll see you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment